The map below was first printed in 2002. By clicking on the link above you can print the current map which has so much more!
|The “mosquito fleet” began ferrying passengers and goods from points on Puget Sound in 1853. In the mid-1880s, steamer boats began making trips to Seattle from the Kitsap area. By 1900, the sloop “Telka” left Silverdale once a week for Seattle.
||In 1841, Captain Wilkes of the U.S. Navy sailed through a narrow channel from Puget Sound into a large bay as part of his exploration. He named the bay Dyes Inlet after the expedition’s assistant taxidermist, W. W. Dyes.
||Watch for belted kingfishers, great blue herons, bald eagles and osprey fishing in the rich, shallow water near the estuary. You may see an 0sprey hovering 40-60’ up before diving feetfirst to capture its prey, or the tall, wading great blue heron take off in flight with slow, powerful wingspan of up to 6’ and legs trailing behind.
|In the late 1800s, valley settlers may have beached and stored their dinghies along this area. In 1909, Anders Nilson may have used this site as a dogfish oilprocessing site. Around 1995, the site became the Westfall- Schneebeck Lumber Company and a German-made mill was installed, which can be seen today.
||At the SE end of the estuary, look for the culvert installed decades ago to allow the creek to drain and the tide to flow into the estuary. In the future, the narrow, insufficient culvert is expected to be replaced with a larger one. The original Bucklin Hill Rd. bridge was probably built in 1907 by C. H. Brandlein, who grazed cattle on his 40-acre site NE of Bucklin Hill.
||Sources provide two names used by the Suquamish to refer to Clear Creek: Duwe’iq, meaning “mouth of a creek way back in a pocket” (roughly where the creek empties into the estuary), and Sa’qad, meaning “spear it,” which refers to the camping ground at the mouth of the creek, the creek itself and all of Dyes Inlet. The area was good habitat for silver salmon, oysters, clams, huckleberries and deer.
|Levin Rd. was part of a much longer north-south territorial road reaching to north Kitsap County. Portions still exist, including a section of Schold Rd. The name “Levin” comes from early Clear Creek valley settler John Levine. The road ran through his homestead in the valley.
||It was necessary for this bridge to be 120’ long to accommodate the “100-year flood plain.” Clear Creek is known to flood its banks frequently. Its location in the Puget Lowlands, as well as present day development, contribute to this trend. In 1858, the General Land Office survey map shows the area as a floodplain or “wet bottom land.”
||This is a “working” part of the creek watershed, where the wetland community occasionally receives floodwaters and sediments when the creek overflows. As the water gradually returns within the stream banks, the sediments stay trapped behind and leave our creek once again clear.
|This forested wetland rising east up to Ridgetop acts like a giant garden soaker hose slowly releasing last season’s rainwater into Clear Creek. Common in a forested wetland are skunk cabbage, salmonberry, red osier dogwood, western cedar, false lily of the valley and salix willow.
||Looking west, north and south, you can see the valley, its surrounding watershed, Dyes Inlet, the Olympic Mountains and often a fine sunset. The north-south orientation of the valley, most of Kitsap and the Puget Sound Basin is evidence of the last glacial advance some 12,000-14,000 years ago.
||This proerty, owned by Harrison Hospital, is a good example of a managed forest, where selective tree thinning has promoted a healthier stand of trees. Competing understory is usually cleared out. Kitsap has many managed forests owned by businesses, school districts and government.
|Cattails are a familiar wetland plant, but their ecological and wildlife are value often not appreciated. Second to the cedar tree for importance to early Suquamish, the tall plant is also an important species for wetlands mitigation, restoration and pollution control. Native tribes ate them, favored them for weaving and used their soft down to cushion diapers and line cradles.
||The first non-natives in the area were loggers in the 1850s. Logging began on the shores of Dyes Inlet and progressed north, deforesting the valley. It was the major industry in the Silverdale area until the 1880s.
||In 1880, A. J. Schold arrived and selected property in the heavily timbered Clear Creek valley. In 1886, he brought his wife, Hannah, and their children to the homestead. Their first night in the valley included a howling storm. The next morning, surprised at the clarity of the creek after the storm, Hannah named it Clear Creek.
|Many farmers in the valley raised chickens because they did not need to remove tree stumps left behind from decades of logging. Others established dairy farms. By the early 1900s, milk, chicken and egg production were major industries. By the 1930s, Silverdale was shipping 50,000 cases of eggs and 62,000 chickens a year.